Solutions to Chapter 26 (Leasing)-Brealey Myers Corporate Finance Assignment

Solutions to Chapter 26 (Leasing)-Brealey Myers Corporate Finance Assignment Words: 2295

CHAPTER 26 Leasing Answers to Practice Questions 8. The present value of the costs and the present value of the lease payments are shown in the following table: | |t = 0 |t = 1 |t = 2 |t = 3 |t = 4 |t = 5 |t = 6 | |Initial Cost |-3000. 00 | | | | | | | |Depreciation | | 600. 00 | 960. 00 | 576. 00 | 345. 60 | 345. 60 | 172. 80 | |Depreciation tax shield | | 210. 0 | 336. 00 | 201. 60 | 120. 96 | 120. 96 | 60. 48 | |After-tax admin. costs |-260. 00 |-260. 00 |-260. 00 |-260. 00 |-260. 00 |-260. 00 | | |Total |-3260. 00 | -50. 00 | 76. 00 | -58. 40 |-139. 04 |-139. 04 | 60. 48 | |PV(at 9%) = -$3,439. 80 | | | | | | | | |Break-even rent |1082. 29 |1082. 29 |1082. 29 |1082. 9 |1082. 29 |1082. 29 | | |Tax |-378. 80 |-378. 80 |-378. 80 |-378. 80 |-378. 80 |-378. 80 | | |Break-even rent after tax | 703. 49 | 703. 49 | 703. 49 | 703. 49 | 703. 49 | 703. 49 | | |PV(at 9%) = -$3,439. 80 | | | | | | | | |Cash Flow |-2556. 51 | 653. 49 | 779. 49 | 645. 09 | 564. 45 | 564. 5 | 60. 48 | The break-even lease rate (after tax) is the payment for a six-year annuity due whose present value is $3,439. 80: [pic] [pic] The pre-tax lease rate is: $703. 49/0. 65 = $1,082. 29 9. Administrative costs drop to $200 per year, so that the after-tax administrative costs are $130 per year and the present value of the costs is now: $2,804. 15 Moreover, the lease payments are a fixed commitment of the blue-chip company. The six lease payments are discounted at the after-tax rate at which Acme would lend money, which is computed as follows: 0. 6 ? (1 ??? 0. 35) = 0. 039 = 3. 9% The break-even lease rate is computed as follows: [pic] [pic] The pre-tax lease rate is: $513. 17/0. 65 = $789. 49 10. a. If the expected rate of inflation is 5% per year, then administrative costs increase by 5% per year. We further assume that the lease payments grow at the rate of inflation (i. e. , the payments are indexed to inflation). However, the depreciation tax shield amounts do not change because depreciation is based on the initial cost of the desk. The appropriate nominal discount rate is now: (1. 05 ( 1. 09) ??? 1 = 0. 1445 = 14. 45%

These changes yield the following, indicating that the initial lease payment has increased from $1,082 to about $1,113: | |t = 0 |t = 1 |t = 2 |t = 3 |t = 4 |t = 5 |t = 6 | |Initial Cost |-3000. 00 | | | | | | | |Depreciation | | 600. 00 | 960. 00 | 576. 00 | 345. 60 | 345. 60 | 172. 80 | |Depreciation tax shield | | 210. 0 | 336. 00 | 201. 60 | 120. 96 | 120. 96 | 60. 48 | |After-tax admin. costs |-260. 00 |-273. 00 |-286. 65 |-300. 98 |-316. 03 |-331. 83 | | |Total |-3260. 00 | -63. 00 | 49. 35 | -99. 38 |-195. 07 |-210. 87 | 60. 48 | |PV(at 14. 45%) = -$3,537. 83 | | | | | | | |Break-even rent |1113. 13 |1168. 79 |1227. 23 |1288. 59 |1353. 2 |1420. 67 | | |Tax |-389. 60 |-409. 08 |-429. 53 |-451. 01 |-473. 56 |-497. 23 | | |Break-even rent after tax | 723. 53 | 759. 71 | 797. 70 | 837. 58 | 879. 46 | 923. 43 | | |PV(at 14. 45%) = -$3,537. 83 | | | | | | | |Cash Flow |-2536. 47 | 696. 71 | 847. 05 | 738. 20 | 684. 39 | 712. 56 | 60. 8 | Here, we solve for the break-even lease payments by first solving for the after-tax payment that provides a present value, discounted at 9%, equal to the present value of the costs, keeping in mind that the annuity begins immediately. We use the 9% discount rate in order to find the real value of the payments (i. e. , $723. 53). Then each of the subsequent payments reflects the 5% inflation rate. Solve for the break-even rent as follows: Break-even rent = $723. 53/(1 ??? 0. 35) = $1,113. 13 b. With a reduction in real lease rates of 10% each year, the nominal lease amount will decrease by 5. % each year. That is, the nominal lease rate is multiplied by a factor of (1. 05 ( 0. 9) = 0. 945 each year. Thus, we have: | |t = 0 |t = 1 |t = 2 |t = 3 |t = 4 |t = 5 |t = 6 | |Initial Cost |-3000. 00 | | | | | | | |Depreciation | | 600. 00 | 960. 00 | 576. 00 | 345. 60 | 345. 60 | 172. 80 | |Depreciation. tax shield | | 210. 0 | 336. 00 | 201. 60 | 120. 96 | 120. 96 | 60. 48 | |After-tax admin. costs |-260. 00 |-273. 00 |-286. 65 |-300. 98 |-316. 03 |-331. 83 | | |Total |-3260. 00 | -63. 00 | 49. 35 | -99. 38 |-195. 07 |-210. 87 | 60. 48 | |PV(at 14. 45%) = -$3,537. 83 | | | | | | | |Break-even rent |1388. 82 |1312. 44 |1240. 25 |1172. 04 |1107. 8 |1046. 66 | | |Tax |-486. 09 |-459. 35 |-434. 09 |-410. 21 |-387. 65 |-366. 33 | | |Break-even rent after tax | 902. 73 | 853. 08 | 806. 16 | 761. 83 | 719. 92 | 680. 33 | | |PV(at 14. 45%) = -$3,537. 77 | | | | | | | |Cash Flow |-2357. 27 | 790. 08 | 855. 51 | 662. 44 | 524. 85 | 469. 46 | 60. 48 |

Don’t waste your time!
Order your assignment!


order now

Here, when we solve for the first after-tax payment, use a discount rate of: (1. 09/0. 9) ??? 1 = 0. 2111 = 21. 11% 11. If the cost of new limos decreases by 5% per year, then the lease payments also decrease by 5% per year. In terms of Table 26. 1, the only change is in the break-even rent. | |t = 0 |t = 1 |t = 2 |t = 3 |t = 4 |t = 5 |t = 6 | |Total |-82. 80 |-2. 55 |0. 60 |-2. 76 |-4. 78 |-4. 78 |-6. 29 | |Break-even rent |29. 97 |28. 7 |27. 04 |25. 69 |24. 41 |23. 19 |22. 03 | |Tax |-10. 49 |-9. 96 |-9. 47 |-8. 99 |-8. 54 |-8. 12 |-7. 71 | |Break-even rent after tax |19. 48 |18. 51 |17. 58 |16. 70 |15. 87 |15. 07 |14. 32 | |Cash flow |-63. 32 |15. 99 |18. 18 |13. 94 |11. 09 |10. 29 |8. 03 | |NPV (at 7%) = 0. 00 | | | | | | |

Here, when we solve for the first after-tax payment, use a discount rate of: (1. 07/0. 95) ??? 1 = 0. 1263 = 12. 63% 12. a. The lease cash flows for years 1, 2 and 3 are discounted at: 0. 10 ? (1 ??? 0. 35) = 0. 065 = 6. 5% The value of the equivalent loan is the present value of the cash flows for years 1, 2 and 3: $59,307. 30 b. The value of the lease is: $62,000 ??? $59,307. 30 = $2,692. 70 c. National Waferonics should not invest. The lease’s value of +$2,692. 70 does not offset the machine’s negative NPV. On the other hand, the company would be happy to sign the same lease on a more attractive asset. 15.

The original cash flows are as given in the text. In general, the net present value of the lessor’s cash flows consists of the cost of the bus, the present value of the depreciation tax shield, and the present value of the after-tax lease payments. To find the minimum rental P, we set the net present value to zero and solve for??P. We can then use this value for P to calculate the value of the lease to the lessee. a. A lessor tax rate of 50%. Cash flows for the lessor are: [pic] [pic] P = 16. 58 or $16,580 For Greymare, the net present value of the cash flows is the cost of the bus saved (100) less the present value of the lease payments: pic] b. Immediate 100% depreciation. Cash flows for the lessor are: [pic] P = 15. 42 or $15,420 For Greymare, the net present value of the cash flows is: [pic] c. 3-year lease with 4 annual rentals. Cash flows for the lessor are: [pic] [pic] P = 29. 74 or $29,740 For Greymare, the net present value of the cash flows is: [pic] d. An interest rate of 20%. Cash flows for the lessor are: [pic] [pic] P = 21. 21 or $21,210 For Greymare, the net present value of the cash flows is: [pic] 16. If Greymare pays no taxes, its lease cash flows consist of an inflow of $100 at t = 0 and yearly outflows of $16. at t = 0 through t = 7. If the interest rate is zero, the NPV of the lease is the sum of these cash flows, or ???$35. 2 (???$35,200). 17. Under the conditions outlined in the text, the value to the lessor is $700 and the value to the lessee is $820. The key to structuring the lease is to realize that the lessee and the lessor are discounting at different interest rates: 10% for the lessee and 6. 5% for the lessor. Thus, if we decrease the early lease payments and increase the later lease payments in such a way as to leave the lessor’s NPV unchanged, the lessee, by virtue of the higher discount rate, will be better off.

One such set of lease payments is shown in the following table: | |t = 0 |t = 1 |t = 2 |t = 3 | t = 4 | t = 5 |t = 6 | t = 7 | |Cost of new bus |-100. 00 | | | | | | | | |Depreciation tax shield |7. 00 |11. 20 |6. 72 |4. 03 |4. 03 |2. 02 |0. 00 | |Lease payment |13. 00 |14. 00 |17. 00 |17. 00 |17. 00 |20. 00 |20. 00 |20. 0 | |Tax on lease payment |-4. 55 |-4. 90 |-5. 95 |-5. 95 |-5. 95 |-7. 00 |-7. 00 |-7. 00 | | | | | | | | | | | |Cash flow of lease |-91. 55 |16. 10 |22. 25 |17. 77 |15. 08 |17. 03 |15. 02 |13. 00 | |Lessor NPV (at 6. 5%) = 0. 707 ($707) | | | | | | | |Lessee NPV (at 10%) = 1. 68 ($1,868) | | | | | | | The value to the lessor is $707 and the value to the lessee (still assuming it pays no tax) is $1,868. 19. The Safety Razor Company should take the lease as long as the NPV of the financing is greater than or equal to zero. If P is the annual lease payment, then the net present value of the lease to the company is: Setting NPV equal to zero and solving for P, we find the company’s maximum lease payment is 17. 04 or $17,040. The NPV to the lessor has three components: Cost of machinery = ???100 ??? PV of after-tax lease payments, discounted at the after-tax interest rate of: [(1 ??? 0. 35) ( 0. 10] = . 065 = 6. 5%: ??? PV of the depreciation tax shield, discounted at the after-tax rate of 6. 50% (we assume depreciation expense begins at t = 1): [pic] To find the minimum rental the lessor would accept, we sum these three components, set this total NPV equal to zero, then solve for P: ???100 + (P ( 4. 2149) + 28. 092 = 0 Thus, P is equal to 17. 06 or $17,060, which is the minimum lease payment the lessor will accept. 20.

Under certain circumstances, an equipment lessor is in a better protected position, compared to a secured lender, when a firm falls into bankruptcy. If the bankruptcy court concludes that the leased asset is essential to the operation of the firm’s business, the court is said to ‘affirm’ the lease, which means that the firm continues its utilization of the asset and continues to pay the lease payments to the lessor. Meanwhile, the secured lender generally does not receive payments until the bankruptcy process is resolved. If, however, the court rules that the lease is rejected (i. e. that the leased asset is not essential to the firm’s operations), the lessor is entitled to recovery of the asset. Further, when the lease is rejected, the lessor is also entitled to recover the difference between the present value of the remaining payments and the market value of the asset, but in this regard, the lessor is treated as an unsecured creditor by the court. 21The value of the lease to the lessee is calculated as in Section 26. 4. The lessee computes the cash flow of the lease for each year of the lease. These cash flows take in to consideration the lost depreciation tax shield (i. e. the tax shield the lessee would gain if the asset were purchased), the lease payment and the tax shield of the lease payment. Then, the lease cash flows are discounted at the after-tax interest rate the firm would pay on an equivalent loan. The APV of the lease to the lessor equals the NPV of the lease cash flows plus the present value of the sale price of the aircraft at the end of the lease. We find the value of the lease cash flows by first calculating the cash flows to the lessor after payment of interest and principal on the non-recourse debt and then discounting these flows at the after-tax borrowing rate.

Challenge Questions 22. Consider first the choice between buying and a five-year financial lease. Ignoring salvage value, the incremental cash flows from leasing are shown in the following table: | |t = 0 | t = 1 |t = 2 |t = 3 |t = 4 |t = 5 | | |Buy: 0. 80 probability that contract will be renewed for 5 years | | | | |Initial cost of plane |500. 0 | | | | | | | |Depreciation tax shield | |-35. 00 |-35. 00 |-35. 00 |-35. 00 |-35. 00 | | |Lease payment |-75. 00 |-75. 00 |-75. 00 |-75. 00 |-75. 00 | | | |Lease payment tax shield |26. 25 |26. 25 |26. 25 |26. 25 |26. 25 | | | |Total cash flow |451. 25 | -83. 75 | -83. 75 | -83. 75 | -83. 5 | -35. 00 | | | | | | | | |Buy: 0. 20 probability that contract will not be renewed | | | | | |Initial cost of plane |500. 00 | | | | | | | |Depreciation tax shield | |-35. 00 | | | | | | |Lease payment |-75. 0 | | | | | | | |Lease payment tax shield |26. 25 | | | | | | | |Total cash flow |451. 25 |-35. 00 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |Expected cash flow |451. 25 |-74. 00 |-67. 00 |-67. 0 |-67. 00 |-28. 00 | | |PV(at 5. 85%) |451. 25 |-69. 91 |-59. 80 |-56. 49 |-53. 37 |-21. 07 | | |Total PV(at 5. 85%) = $190. 60 | | | | | | | We have discounted these cash flows at the firm’s after-tax borrowing rate: 0. 65 ( 0. 09 = 0. 0585 = 5. 85% The table above shows an apparent net advantage to leasing of $190. 61. However, if Magna buys the plane, it receives the salvage value.

There is an 80% probability that the plane will be kept for five years and then sold for $300 (less taxes) and there is a 20% probability that the plane will be sold for $400 in one year. Discounting the expected cash flows at the company cost of capital (these are risky flows) gives: [pic] The net gain to a financial lease is: $190. 60 ??? $151. 20 = $39. 40 (Note that the above calculations assume that, if the contract is not renewed, Magna can, with certainty, charge the same rent on the plane that it is paying, and thereby zero-out all subsequent lease payments.

This is an optimistic assumption. ) The after-tax cost of the operating lease for the first year is: 0. 65 ( $118 = $76. 70 Assume that a five-year old plane is as productive as a new plane, and that plane prices increase at the inflation rate (i. e. , 4% per year). Then the expected payment on an operating lease will also increase by 4% per year. Since there is an 80% probability that the plane will be leased for five years, and a 20% probability that it will be leased for only one year, the expected cash flows for the operating lease are as shown in the table below: |t = 0 | t = 1 |t = 2 |t = 3 |t = 4 |t = 5 | | |Lease: 0. 80 probability that contract will be renewed for 5 years | | | | |After-tax lease payment |-76. 70 |-79. 77 |-82. 96 |-86. 28 |-89. 73 |0. 00 | | | | | | | | |Lease: 0. 0 probability that contract will not be renewed | | | | | |After-tax lease payment |-76. 70 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |Expected cash flow |-76. 70 |-63. 82 |-66. 37 |-69. 02 |-71. 78 |0. 00 | | |PV(at 14%) |-76. 0 |-55. 97 |-51. 07 |-46. 59 |-42. 50 |0. 00 | | |Total PV(at 14%) = $-272. 84 | | | | | | | These cash flows are risky and depend on the demand for light aircraft. Therefore, we discount these cash flows at the company cost of capital (i. e. , 14%). The present value of these payments is greater than the present value of the safe lease payments from the financial lease, so it appears that the financial lease is the lower cost alternative.

Notice, however, our assumption about future operating lease costs. If old planes are less productive than new ones, the lessor would not be able to increase lease charges by 4% per year. 23. The spreadsheet below shows cash flows to the equity investor for the leveraged lease. The entire lease payment goes to debt service until the loan is paid off (in year 7). The equity investor’s initial outlay is followed by cash inflows from tax shields on depreciation and interest. Cash flows then subsequently turn negative as depreciation and interest payments decrease.

There are positive cash flows in years 7 and 8 when the debt is paid off and when the $10,000 salvage value is realized. Despite the fact that there are three sign changes in the cash flows, there is only one IRR: 156. 5%. The NPV to equity is positive at all discount rates between zero and 156. 5%. | | | | |Year | | | | | | |0 |1 |2 |3 |4 |5 |6 |7 |8 | |Cash flows | | | | | | | | | | |Cost of new bus (salvage value year 8) |-100. 00 | | | | | | | | 10. 00 | |Lease payment |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 | | |Debt payment |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 0 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |0. 84 | | |Interest paid |8. 80 |7. 91 |6. 92 |5. 82 |4. 60 |3. 25 |1. 75 |0. 08 | | |Depreciation |0. 00 |20. 00 |32. 00 |19. 20 |11. 50 |11. 50 |5. 80 |0. 00 | | |Taxable income to equity |8. 10 |-11. 01 |-22. 02 |-8. 12 |0. 80 |2. 15 |9. 35 |16. 82 | | |Income taxes (@35%) |2. 84 |-3. 85 |-7. 71 |-2. 84 |0. 28 |0. 75 |3. 27 |5. 89 |3. 50 | |Cash flow to equity |-2. 84 |3. 85 |7. 71 |2. 84 |-0. 28 |-0. 75 |-3. 27 |10. 18 |6. 50 | |Debt service | | | | | | | | | | |Lease payment |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 90 |16. 0 | | |Debt (initially 80% of cost) |80. 00 |71. 90 |62. 91 |52. 93 |41. 85 |29. 55 |15. 91 |0. 76 | | |Interest rate |11. 0% |11. 0% |11. 0% |11. 0% |11. 0% |11. 0% |11. 0% |11. 0% | | |Interest paid |8. 80 |7. 91 |6. 92 |5. 82 |4. 60 |3. 25 |1. 75 |0. 08 | | |Principal repaid |8. 10 |8. 99 |9. 98 |11. 08 |12. 30 |13. 65 |15. 15 |0. 76 | | |Remaining principal balance |71. 90 |62. 91 |52. 93 |41. 85 |29. 55 |15. 91 |0. 76 |0. 00 | | | It is difficult to determine the ‘cost of equity’ in this situation. The lessor is better off using APV in order to value the investment.

For the lessor, the NPV of the lease, as calculated in Section 26. 4 of the text, is +$700. We then add the PV of the after-tax salvage value, discounted at a risk-adjusted rate. If we use the 12% discount rate suggested in Section 26. 4, the PV of the (after-tax) $6,500 salvage value in year 8, discounted at 12%, is $2,625. Therefore, total APV is $3,325. Next, add or subtract the NPV of the non-recourse loan. If the loan is at fair terms, then APV remains at +$3,325. If the loan generates some net economic advantage, then APV is greater than +$3,325. ———————– [pic] [pic]

How to cite this assignment

Choose cite format:
Solutions to Chapter 26 (Leasing)-Brealey Myers Corporate Finance Assignment. (2019, Oct 07). Retrieved October 24, 2019, from https://anyassignment.com/finance/solutions-to-chapter-26-leasing-brealey-myers-corporate-finance-assignment-57737/